The Alliance of Health Workers (AHW) and the Filipino Nurses United (FNU) gathered for a protest rally on April 10, 2017 in front of Professional Regulation Commission in Manila to condemn the implementation of RA 10912 or Continuing Professional Development Act of 2016. The groups believed that it is just a money-making scheme for officials and some institutions and just a burden to professional workers.
According to sources, the following are the key points agreed upon/committed by the PRC (Commissioner Yolanda Reyes, Commissioner Angeline Chua Chiaco ) and Board of Nursing officials (Cora Anonuevo, Gloria Arcos, Carmelita Divinagracia, Carfredda Dumlao) in front of AHW/FNU representatives:
1. All public health professionals will be given free CPD Programs for them to earn their needed units per year as required by the Implementing Rules and Regulations of the CPD Law.
2. Accredited professional organizations like the PNA shall be mandated to provide free CPD Training/Seminars (upon request) for groups of unemployed or health professionals assigned in far flung areas/communities, irregardless of their membership status.
3. IV Therapy Training shall not be required for employment or promotion. There is no need to renew the IVT card. IVT Training shall be provided by the hospital as part of their in-service training programs at no cost to the nurses.
4. THE AHW/FNU proposal to extend the deadline for the CPD implementation for health workers until the time that the DOH and its attached agencies are prepared to become accredited providers shall be taken up during the PRC Commissioners’ En-Banc meeting. Their decision shall be made public on April 27, 2017.
5. A Memorandum Circular shall be issued by PRC-BON not later than April 19, 2017 to all Chief Nurses/Nursing Directors that IV Training is not a requirement for employment and promotion.
6. Registration of all CPD programs shall be made free of charge for all government agencies.
References: FB Posts of FNU-Nasyunal, Robert Mendoza/Sean Velches of AHW